Reliable Research Confirms That Older Adults Who Volunteer Enjoy Higher Levels of Well-being, Enhanced Physical Capacity and Greater Life Satisfaction
Now is the time to test this research yourself, and, as an added benefit, get to know members from different workshops.
The Academy has a unique governing style. We have no paid staff but rely completely on member volunteers to facilitate workshops and serve on the committees that keep our Academy running smoothly. Since committee membership is limited to two – three years, this is the time of year when we look for new volunteers.
Here are brief descriptions of the tasks performed by our five standing committees:
- Designs, edits and produces all informational materials
- Maintains the website and its news page
- Provides outreach information
- Maintains the Facebook page
- Develops a program and schedule of workshops
- Evaluates workshops
- Organizes a Facilitators Forum
- Supports audio-visual training for workshops
- Keeps the database up-to-date
- Processes and confirms registration and fees
- Monitors workshop numbers
- Prepares class lists and attendance sheets
- Plans social events to strengthen collegiality
- Organizes venues, catering, registration and entertainment
- Develops and presents a program of interesting speakers
- for Wednesday Forums, primarily for members
- for Spring Talks to raise our public profile
There are all sorts of skills needed to keep the Academy lively and engaging. If you like to write, enjoy photography, have design or graphic skills, etc., there is a place for you even if you don’t feel that you want to commit full time to one of our committees.
If you have an interest or skill to share, or if you would like to know more about volunteer opportunities at the Academy, please email email@example.com.